Charlie, who was 18 months old at the time, was riding home in his parents’ car.
“Call it mother’s instinct, but something told me, to look over my shoulder,” said Charlie’s mum, Sarah.
Charlie had turned completely blue after choking on a snack – he had no pulse and had stopped breathing.
With the help of an elderly couple passing by, Sarah desperately tried to keep Charlie alive. When the ambulance arrived it took Charlie and his mum straight to the Women’s and Children’s Paediatric Emergency Department. The team of experienced doctors and nurses were waiting – every second was vital.
“As soon as we arrived I breathed a sigh of relief because I knew Charlie was in the hands of experts. They were so calm, so reassuring to me,” said Sarah.
Even though Charlie’s condition was still unclear, Sarah knew they were in the best place. Today thanks to the medical team at the Hospital, Charlie is a happy, healthy seven-year-old boy. “It was one of the scariest moments of my life and I’ll always be grateful for the care the Hospital gave my little boy,” said Sarah. Unfortunately, this story could belong to any of us. Accidents, big and small can happen when we least expect them to.
Your Emergency Department is there for you 24/7. The doors to your Hospital are always open.
Please support your Hospital today. Click here to make your donation.