1879

1879

The Adelaide Children’s Hospital, whose foundation stone was laid in 1878, was the first hospital to offer formal training for nurses in a one-year course. Nurses received a small wage and accommodation plus a hospital certificate upon completion. Over the following decades, many public hospitals went on to offer similar on the job training with a few lectures.

Back to timeline
x

Stay up to date

Subscribe to our free newsletter and keep up to date with all the latest news and events from the WCH Foundation.

Subscribe