The Women’s & Children’s Hospital Foundation has teamed up with children’s hospitals across Australia on a unified mission – #CuringHomesickness.
Every day there are hundreds of thousands of children in hospitals around the country.
With the support of the community, we are raising vital funds to get kids in hospital home sooner or for those that cannot go home, help make them feel more at home during their treatment.
Why we need your help to cure homesickness
Australian children and young people account for almost one million hospital admissions each year and 50% of these kids suffer from moderate to severe levels of homesickness.
Severe homesickness in children can lead to social and behavioural problems, symptoms of depression and anxiety, coping issues, and feelings of helplessness.
In children with severe homesickness, symptoms get worse the longer they are away from home. Being at home is the cure for homesickness.
How you can help to cure homesickness
Purchase a jar of ‘Mum’s Sause’ from your local Coles supermarket
- Buy a bottle of limited edition Mum’s Sause from your local Coles supermarket and 50c from every sale will support Curing Homesickness.
Cooking with Mum’s Sause!
We love this pasta dish featuring Mum’s Sause! It’s the perfect winter-warmer meal, PLUS by purchasing Mum’s Sause you’re helping sick kids in the Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
Sausage and Mushroom Pasta
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
375g pasta shells
500g Coles No Added Hormones Australian Beef Sausage with Herbs & Garlic, casings removed
200g cup mushrooms, sliced
500g bottle Mum’s Sause Bolognese
60g packet Coles Australian Baby Spinach
Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
Shaved parmesan, to serve
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break into lumps, for 5 mins or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the mushroom to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 mins or until mushroom is tender. Add Mum’s Sause. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the spinach. Remove from heat. Season.
- Add the pasta to the sauce mixture. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with parsley and parmesan.
Purchase a limited edition Assembly Label ‘Homesick’ t-shirt
Artist G Flip wearing the exclusive and limited edition range of ‘Homesick’ t-shirts for men, women and children by Assembly Label. T-shirts are available in-store and online, with all proceeds going towards Curing Homesickness.