The Women’s & Children’s Hospital Foundation has teamed up with children’s hospitals across Australia on a unified mission – #CuringHomesickness.
Every day there are hundreds of thousands of children in hospitals around the country.
With the support of the community, we are raising vital funds to get kids in hospital home sooner or for those that cannot go home, help make them feel more at home during their treatment.
Why we need your help to cure homesickness
Australian children and young people account for almost one million hospital admissions each year and 50% of these kids suffer from moderate to severe levels of homesickness.
Severe homesickness in children can lead to social and behavioural problems, symptoms of depression and anxiety, coping issues, and feelings of helplessness.
In children with severe homesickness, symptoms get worse the longer they are away from home. Being at home is the cure for homesickness.
How you can help to cure homesickness
With your support, we can continue to fund critical medical equipment and research so children have access to the very best medical care, giving them the best chance of getting home sooner. While in the Hospital, our Arts in Health program and upgrades create an interactive and bright environment making patients feel more at home.
Purchase a jar of ‘Mum’s Sause’ from your local Coles Supermarket
- Buy a bottle of limited edition Mum’s Sause from your local Coles Supermarket and 50c from every sale will support Curing Homesickness.
Winner of our Mum’s Sause cooking competition announced!
Throughout winter we were on the search for the most creative dish featuring Mum’s Sause.
We tasked at-home masterchefs to think outside the square and enter a delicious, imaginative dish via our Facebook page.
Fiona Ball cooked up a storm in her kitchen creating ‘Wonton Lasagna Cups’ to win the competition and the $500 Coles shopping voucher.
To re-create Fiona’s dish at home, follow her recipe below. She said the Wonton Lasanga Cups are best served with salad and if you are vegetarian, the mince can be substituted with eggplant.
Fiona’s Wonton Lasange Cups
- 1kg beef mince
- 4 rashes of bacon diced small
- 1 onion cut finely
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 ½ cups of mushrooms
- 3 packets of fresh wonton wrappers
- Fresh parsley
- Mozzarella cheese
- 2 jars of Mum’s Sause
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Brown the onion and garlic with a little oil in a frying pan.
- Transfer to bowl and then cook diced bacon.
- Place cooked bacon, garlic and onion in a bowl.
- Cook beef mince until brown.
- Add 2 jars of Mum’s Sause to frying pan.
- Add bacon, onion and garlic to pan.
- Place 1 ½ cups of mushrooms in microwave safe bowl with a tablespoon of butter.
- Cook in microwave until soft.
- Once mushrooms are cooked add to beef mix.
- Lightly spray muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add 2 wonton wrappers per muffin cup.
- Fill wonton wrappers with beef mix.
- Add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese to each lasagna cup.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges are brown and mozzarella is melted.
- Once cooked garnish with parsley.
- Left over lasagna cups can be put in container and frozen.
Purchase a limited edition Assembly Label ‘Homesick’ t-shirt
Artist G Flip wearing the exclusive and limited edition range of ‘Homesick’ t-shirts for men, women and children by Assembly Label. T-shirts are available in-store and online, with all proceeds going towards Curing Homesickness.